I gave the students pictures of 3 different monsters and a symbol key with each of the facial features of the monster. I wish I had taken more pictures of the activity.
1. Decomposing-I had the students practice making individual facial features. We were essentially "breaking down" our monster.
2. Patterns-The students found similarities in the monsters.
3. Abstraction-The students found the differences in the three monsters.
4. Algorithms-Students drew out their own monster and wrote out specifically how they did it. The goal was for them to write the steps in a way so that a stranger could take the symbol key and follow directions to make a monster.
The kids loved the activity because they got to create their own monster and write their own algorithm.
In other news, I finally finished my word wall. You can't tell at all that I'm a tech. geek!